Ice Cave Tour from Reykjavík
The perfect 2 day getaway
book your adventure here
- guide and transportation
- accommodation at 4 star hotel + breakfast
- Ice Cave tour and a Glacier Hike
Duration: 2 days, 1 night
Pick up: Pick up and drop off at your Reykjavík accommodation
Group size: Maximum 16
Walking per day: 2-3 hours
Highlights of the Tour
- Ice Caving, Glacier Walk and the Glacier Lagoon
- Black beaches of Vík and Reynisfjara
- Northern Lights
Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon and Ice Cave Adventure
You do not need to spend a long time in Iceland to discover the great diversity of its natural wonders. In only two days this tour takes you to many of the country’s highlights including the renowned Glacier Lagoon, Jökulsárlón, the majestic glaciers of the South Coast the beautiful waterfalls Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss. On top of the stunning scenery you will experience the exciting activities of glacier walking and a tour into the Ice Caves of Europe’s largest glacier. We spend the night at a brand new 4 star hotel in the country side, the perfect spot to experience the northern lights!
Price per person in ISK: 77.900 ISK*
Single supplement: 9.200 ISK
Included: Qualified driver guide, transportation in a 4-wheel drive minibus, accommodation at a 4-star hotel with breakfast. Glacier Walk and an Ice Cave tour (from November – March)
Not included: Lunch, dinner.
Minimum age: 13 years
Day 1:Reykjavik – Glacier walk – Skaftafell
Early morning pick up by your guide and driver at your accommodation. We leave the capital heading east towards the picturesque south coast. The more east we get the more stunning the scenery becomes, numerous waterfalls that tumbles down from steep cliffs, giant glaciers and vast black deserts form sharp contrast. On the way we will stop for an exciting glacier walk with on the glacier Sólheimajökull or Svínafellsjökull. We arrive in Vatnajökull National park where we take a walk up to the beautiful waterfall Svartifoss enclosed by basalt columns before reaching our comfortable hotel in time for dinner (not included). In the evening we will be on the lookout for the magical lights of the winter sky, the Aurora Borealis, hoping they will make an appearance for us.
Day 2: Icebergs and Ice Caves
After breakfast we continue further east to Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon filled with huge floating icebergs that have broken off from the glacier. After having admired this spectacle of ice and water we will have an adventurous trip into a one of the ice caves of Vatnajökull Europe’s largest glacier. In the afternoon we start our journey back to Reykjavik. On the way we take time to ramble along the black beach of Reynisfjara, being aware of the huge and powerful waves of the Atlantic Ocean, and to take a close look at the beautiful waterfalls Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss before returning to Reykjavik in late afternoon/early evening.
This schedule may change due to weather and conditions.
For your own wellbeing and safety we strongly suggest following the advice of our equipment list, this includes having good quality rain-gear, tops and bottoms! Also respect that cotton clothing is not appropriate for any strenuous outdoor activity – this includes jeans and t-shirts. Modern outdoor clothing is by far more comfortable and will greatly improve your experience.
Boots and Clothing:
- Hiking boots – light hiking boots with waterproofing and ankle support are preferred.
- Long and short sleeve thermal underwear – Wool or synthetic.
- Rain Jacket with a good hood– Preferably waterproof and breathable material.
- Hiking pants.
- Rain trousers – Waterproof and breathable material.
- Gloves – Wool or synthetic.
- Socks – two to three pairs of hiking socks – Wool or synthetic.
- Warm hat – Wool or synthetic.
- Backpack for clothes and items used during the day. Size: 20-30 litres.
- Duffel bag for your overnight gear, preferably not a suit-case.
- Towel – A light weight and packable one.
- Sunglasses and sun protection.
- Water bottle.
- Casual clothes / change of clothes.
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- Toiletries; Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap etc.